Have you ever moved before?
If so, then you already know how chaotic those first few days in your new home can be--as well as those last few hours in your old place!
Rather than ripping open tons of boxes trying to find what you need immediately upon your arrival, if you plan and pack an essentials box you can ease into your new home like a pro.
Your essentials box will be the last box you pack before you move, and the first box you open in your new home. While you pack up the rest of your space, try to identify which items you’ll need to be fully functional when you're adjusting to your new surroundings. Ideally, create one big essentials box for your entire family/household needs, and have all your family members create their own essentials box to get them through their first couple of days.
You’ll want items for basic kitchen needs, food prep, cleaning, clothing, bathroom essentials and items to cope with any emergencies that might arise.
Although everybody’s essentials box will vary according to their needs, here’s a good way to start:
A BOX FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
- Dish soap
- Dishtowel and dishcloth
- Coffee maker and coffee
- Toaster or small toaster oven
- Jar of pasta sauce and pasta (or some easy food item for one dinner and lunch)
- Essential pot and pan
- Unopened small jar of jam/peanut butter
- Pet food and dishes
- Mug, plate, fork, knife, spoon for each member of the family
- All-purpose cleaner
- Garbage bags
- Paper towels
- Toilet Paper
- Shower curtain
- A towel and face cloth per family member
- Shampoo, conditioner, soap, extra toothbrushes, floss, and toothpaste
- All-purpose cutting knife
- Scissors or craft knife (to open the rest of your boxes)
- Small emergency/first aid kit
- Basic medication
- Portable tool kit
- Important records such as medical records, passports, leases, financial information, etc.
- Extra cell phone/electronics chargers
A BOX FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL:
- Any prescribed medications
- Electronics (laptop, iPad, eReader, etc.)
- Chargers for electronics and cell phone
By creating these essential boxes, you and your family will be all set to take on your new adventure in stride!